TOPSFIELD – The 204th Topsfield Fair, running September 30 – October 10, 2022, offers hundreds of contests for both amateur and professional entrants. Some of the contests include prize money while others are just for bragging rights. Contestants can upload their entries online at https://www.topsfieldfair.org/about/exhibitor-handbook/
Contests include: (Entry Dates Vary By Category)
• Art (Amature & Professional) – Painting, Graphics, Photography, etc. Entry Deadline: 9/5. Entries accepted 9/10 & 9/11 from Noon – 4:00 p.m.
• Beekeeping – Honey Products, Beeswax Products, Arts & Crafts, Cooking with Honey & Spirits, etc. Entry Deadlines vary based on category.
• Canning – Jam, Jelly, Pickles, Preserves, Relish, etc. Entry Deadline: 9/6. Entries accepted on 9/10 (10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.).
• Crafts – Ceramic, Crocheting, Doll, Jewelry, Knitting, Needlework, Models, Quilting, Rug, Sewing, Smocking, Spinning, Weaving, Woodworking, etc. Entry Deadline: 9/5. Entries accepted 9/17 & 9/18 from Noon – 4:00 p.m.
• Farm Photography – Theme: Agriculture in Massachusetts. Entry Form and photos must be at the Fair office by 8/31.
• Flowers – Bonsai, Dahlias & Zinnias, Roses, Sunflowers, Hanging Basket, Holiday Decoration, House Plants, Terrariums, etc. Entry Deadline: 9/26. Entries accepted 9/29 from 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
• Foods – Topsfield Fair Fall Harvest Baked Sweet Treat Contest, King Arthur Baking Company Pumpkin Cake Contest, Topsfield Fair Apple Pie Contest, Parent & Child Cookie Celebration (Theme: Favorite Sport Themed Cookies). Entry deadlines vary.
• Fruit – Apples, Berries, Crabapples, Grapes, Peaches, Pears, Plums, Quinces. Entry Forms Due and Entries Accepted on 9/29 from 7:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m.
• Giant Pumpkins – Over $15,000 in prize money up for grabs. Entry Deadline: 9/11. Weigh-off held on 9/30.
• Poultry – Ducks & Geese, Standard Poultry, Eggs, Bantams, Cock Crowing, Hen Flying, Turkeys, Pigeons, Non-Standard Barnyard Rooster, Poster. Entry Deadline: 9/14.
• Vegetables – Beans, Beets, Carrots, Cucumbers, Lettuce, Onions, Potatoes, Peppers, Squash, Tomatoes, and many more categories. Entry Deadline: 9/26.
Additional categories include Cattle, Christmas Trees, Draft Horse Show, Horse & Oxen Pulls, Rabbits & Cavies, Sheep, Sheep Dog Trial, Stock Farm Tractor Pulling, Winemaking, 4-H Club, and many others. Entry deadlines vary.
There are also two pageants held annually at the Topsfield Fair
• Junior King & Queen – For children ages 5–8, who will be judged on general appearance, conduct and personality. Each child will be interviewed on stage. All contestants will be asked to be dressed in casual attire. Entry Deadline: 9/30. Pageant held 10/1 at 10:00 a.m.
• Mrs. Essex County – Contestants must be married, at least 18 years old, currently living in Essex County with their spouse. Each contestant will submit a prepared food item. A preliminary interview will be conducted, and selected participants will appear in the pageant in elegant cocktail wear and will be judged on general appearance, personality, poise, and food score. Entry Deadline: 10/6 at 10:00 p.m. Pageant held on 10/9 at 1:00pm.
Entry forms are available at www.topsfieldfair.org. Information on each contest can be found in the Visitors Handbook by visiting https://www.topsfieldfair.org/about/exhibitor-handbook/ under the “About” section on the home page of the website. Contact information for the person responsible for each contest is included with the contest form for each department. Requirements and entry deadlines vary for each contest.