The Mid-Atlantic Fisheries Management Council (MAFMC) has scheduled in-person hearings and a webinar to gather public input on an action intended to rebuild the Atlantic mackerel stock (also known as the Atlantic Mackerel Rebuilding 2.0 Amendment). Potential management measures include commercial quotas, recreational bag limits, a 3-inch commercial minimum mesh requirement, and permitting clarifications. The action would also continue to set a river herring and shad catch cap for the mackerel fishery. A public hearing document with additional details will be available on the amendment page about two weeks prior to the first hearing. Visit: https://www.mafmc.org/actions/atlantic-mackerel-rebuilding-amendment?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
Comments may be submitted at any of the five public hearings between April 25, 2022 and May 2, 2022 or in writing by May 9, 2022. See below for additional details.
Public Hearing Schedule
1. New Bedford, Massachusetts. Monday April 25, 2022. 6-9 pm. Fairfield Inn and Suites. 185 MacArthur Drive, New Bedford, MA 02740. 774-634-2000.
2. Plymouth, Massachusetts. Tuesday April 26, 2022. 6-9 pm. Hilton Garden Inn. 4 Home Depot Drive, Plymouth, MA 02360. 508-830-0200.
3. Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Wednesday April 27, 2022. 6-8 pm. Urban Forestry Center. 45 Elwyn Rd, Portsmouth, NH 03801. 603-431-6774.
4. Brunswick, Maine. Thursday April 28, 2022. 5:30 – 8 pm. Curtis Memorial Library (Morrell Meeting Room). 23 Pleasant Street, Brunswick, ME 04011. 207-725-5242.
5. Webinar. Monday, May 2, 2022. 6pm-10pm. Connection details can be found at the Council’s website calendar or https://www.mafmc.org/actions/atlantic-mackerel-rebuilding-amendment.
Written comments may be submitted online or via email or mail, as detailed below. Written comments must be received by May 9, 2022.
• Email to: email@example.com (use subject “Mackerel Rebuilding”)
• Via webform at: https://www.mafmc.org/comments/mackerel-rebuilding (comment form will be available by April 13.)
• Mail to: Chris Moore, Ph.D., Executive Director, Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council, 800 North State Street, Suite 201, Dover, DE 19901. Mark the outside of the envelope ” Mackerel Rebuilding.”