A family fishing trip is a fun way to celebrate Mother’s Day and get everyone together for an outdoor adventure. Don’t let mom stress about any of the planning! You can help make a Mother’s Day fishing trip the perfect gift with a little extra preparation.
Tips for having the best Mother’s Day fishing trip:
- Pick a great location. Mom deserves some peace and quiet this Mother’s Day so be sure to find a scenic spot. To find fishing spots, check out MassWildlife’s Top Places to Fish for Beginners Map by visiting: www.mass.gov/info-details. If you want to make a day of it, state parks are a good option and usually offer amenities like picnic tables, grills, and bathrooms. When you’re fishing with young kids, go somewhere that is relatively close to home. To avoid spending your day untangling line from trees, look for an open space with enough room for children to cast.
- Have the gear ready to go. Let mom relax in the morning and have the car all packed up the day before. Don’t forget important things like sunscreen, bug spray, and mom’s favorite snacks! For a list of suggested items you’ll need to get started fishing visit: www.mass.gov/service-details.
- Purchase mom’s fishing license as a gift and tuck it into a handmade card. This gift will keep on giving, as fishing licenses are valid through the end of the year. Kids under 15 can fish for free without a license, and licenses are free for those 15–17. If you want to bring the grandparents along, seniors 70 and older are also eligible for free licenses. To get a fishing license visit: www.ma.wildlifelicense.com.
- Take lots of pictures! Make sure you get that perfect action shot of mom reeling in her catch and of course you need to take a group selfie to remember the day. Plan extra activities. Keep everyone entertained by including a nature walk in your plans and bringing along sand toys, binoculars, frisbees, playing cards, or whatever your family enjoys.
- Prepare a meal. If someone in your family is lucky enough to reel in a keeper, consider bringing it home to prepare a nice meal for mom. for tips on cooking and preparing fish visit: www.takemefishing.org.